Even those born with lovely thick locks may experience thinning at some point in their lives. Here¡¯s how to maximise your hair¡¯s volume.
Some hair thinning is temporary, such as during pregnancy.
Other women experience some hair loss as they age.
If your scalp is starting to become visible in patches, or your part is noticeably wider, first see your dermatologist to determine if there is a medical cause.
For less severe cases, products and styling techniques can make your hair look thicker.
- Beautiful locks: The 10 commandments for dream hair
Here¡¯s how to add volume to fine hair:
Step 1: Shampoo
Wash your hair with a volumising shampoo that contains protein.
Follow with a lightweight conditioner labelled for fine or thin hair, and apply just from the ears down.
Once out of the shower, gently blot your hair with a towel.
Step 2: Prep
Apply a volumiser that contains panthenol or resins throughout damp hair.
Spritz on a heat-protecting spray avoiding the roots, then gently untangle the hair with a wide tooth comb, starting at the ends and working your way up.
Step 3: Blow dry
Remove your dryer¡¯s nozzle, then set the heat to medium.
Flip your head upside down and blow dry while running a vent brush through your hair.
When your hair is almost dry, flip your head up and finish drying with a medium-size round brush.
- Rules for healthy hair: 20 haircare dos and don¡¯ts
Step 4: Add volume
Working in small sections, lift your hair off your scalp with your fingers as you aim the dryer, set on cool, at the roots ¨C this roughs up the cuticle to build volume.
Do this all around your head, then lightly smooth hair with a brush.
Step 5: Strengthen
Once a week, do a hot oil treatment on damp hair ¨C it¡¯s a lot lighter than a mask and it won¡¯t weigh your hair down.
Choose one with jojoba oil to help protect against breakage, and proteins to fatten strands. Avoid applying to the roots.
Tricks of the trade
- The right haircut can make all the difference. Ask your stylist for minimal layers (as too many can look flat), or try a deep fringe.
- Condition very fine hair before shampooing ¨C you¡¯ll get just as much moisture without weighing hair down.
- To boost volume, set dry hair in velcro rollers for 10 minutes (roll up, not under).
- Revive limp hair with dry shampoo. Spray at your roots, then massage scalp with your fingers.
Written by Nikki Yazxhi